Thursday 7 June 2012

Birthday Boy! Part 2

On the Friday I continued my birthday celebrations with a trip to the Forest of Dean to 'Go Ape'.



As was standard for the week we managed to miss one journey on public transport. We still managed to get to the site on time and were soon strapped into our harnesses and ready to go.



Before we set off I worried I might have to give Jemma a hand around the course. It didn't take long to find out that, like Mowgli, Jemma had been raised by animals in the jungle and was hopping across tightropes as though she was born on them.



In stark contrast the altitude got to me and I started doing impressions of the old Budweiser advert.



The Zip Wires were amazing, and on the highest one we were gliding over treetops. The terror of the jump off the platform turned into euphoria after I realised that I wasn't going to a) die b) wet myself c) sob "Mummy!" d) perform all of the above in reverse order.



Despite some hairy moments removing my testicles from the harness we made it through the course in one piece.



After more fun and games getting out of Lydney, we survived the war-torn streets of Newport and even had a nice Birthday dinner at a Welsh Wetherspoons. When we were seated comfortably on the train to Bath Jemma and I literally had the icing on the cake. We ate the cake too...



It was an excellent birthday and a special thank-you to Jemma for planning my Legends' Tour and for resisting her natural instinct to unclip my carabiner and send me hurtling to the forest floor.









No comments: