Friday 25 November 2011

Bricking it

Last night I went to Twerton Park to watch Bath City play Dagenham and Redbridge in the 1st round F.A. Cup replay.

It was an eventful evening to say the least. 'Daggers' went 1-0 up in a scrappy 1st half. City came out for the 2nd 45 minutes like a bat out of hell though. After wasting numerous good positions and dominating possession, City equalised through Adam Connelly.

At this point the league 2 side were shitting themselves. It so happens they weren't the only ones. As I celebrated City's equaliser the most foul smell from in front of me attacked my nostrils.

Someone needs to tell whichever of the young lads it was that "shitting yourself" is used to denote when you're scared not extremely happy.

I don't recall people up and down England defecating with joy when they heard that World War II had ended. Neither were the streets around Wembley filled with the aroma of human waste in 1966 when Geoff Hurst and the boys won England the World Cup.

The game went into extra time. So did the smell. From crap to weed. The steward next to me noticed this, but seemed reluctant to investigate which of the only 2 smokers it was. He did however ask me to be quiet. At a football match. Reminded me of the Emirates Stadium.

Daggers scored again from a position so offside that Stevie Wonder would have seen it. They eventually won 3-1. City were the better team, but as is so often the case a refereeing decision decided the game.

No comments: